For your interest, we have provided a few articles published about the response to the election of the Labour Government and Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd. We have also kept some older articles about the previous Government’s declared “national emergency” in Aboriginal communities:
- Reconciliation – Why Should I Care? by Robin Grille This article appeared in the March 2002 edition of Sydney’s Child magazine. Robin Grille has kindly given permission for the ASG-MWP to re-publish his article. Highly recommended reading.
- “Stop Invasion, Begin Development” (3 December 2007). A letter signed by Les Malezer, Michael Mansell, Heather Sculthorpe, Larissa Behrendt, Terry O’Shane.
- “Media Spillover of the Federal Political Landslide to NT Government Provide Ground-Breaking Opportunity to Aboriginal Minister”. (27 November 2007). A media release issued by Women For Wik.
- “Traditional Owners Win 13-Year Fight for Native Title” (15 November 2007). An article written by Joel Gibson, Indigenous Affairs Reporter, The Sydney Morning Herald.
- Jeff McMullen’s thoughtful and passionately argued speech “Closing the Space Between Us – The Rights of Aboriginal Children“, presented at the University of Newcastle, Human Rights and Social Justice Lecture, 2 November 2007.
- Central Land Council Intervention Fact-sheets:
5 Year Leases (95 KB)
Bail (83 KB)
Buildings (112 KB)
Business (121 KB)
Community Stores (124 KB)
Permits (115 KB)
Pornography (112 KB)
Publicly Funded Computers (115 KB)
Town Camps (107 KB)
Welfare (113 KB)
- UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples. A message from Reconciliation Australia, Sept 2007
- In the Occupied Territory, Howard targets the ‘enemy’ within (6 July 2007) Jude McCulloch writes for The Age upon her return from the “Sisters Inside” conference in Darwin.
- Leaders’ calls fell on deaf ears (3 July 2007) Dr Ruth A Fink Latukefu’ s Letter to the Editor, published in The Manly Daily. (Dr Latukefu is an ASG member.)
- A cynical scratch, a pustular response (30 June 2007) lan Ramsey writes in the Sydney Morning Herald. Sourced from www.smh.com.au.
- Media Statement from Mutitjulu (26 June 2007) Mutijulu Community Leaders Dorothea and Bob Randall today questioned the need for a military occupation of their small community. Sourced from the Reconnect reconciliation email network.
- Indigenous Child Abuse (25 June 2007) Listen to Associate Professor Helen Milroy, Director of the Centre for Aboriginal Medical and Dental Health at the University of Western Australia, as she is interviewed on ABC Radio National’s Life Matters program. Sourced from www.abc.net.au/rn/lifematters.
- 30 years of reports into Aboriginal Australia (22 June 2007) List compiled by Marika Webb-Pullman, Jane Nethercote and Sophie Vorrath. Sourced from www.crikey.com.au.
- Government’s misguided approach will add to trauma of children (21 June 2007)
Draconian measures announced by the Prime Minister today in response to the crisis of child abuse in Northern Territory Aboriginal communities would only add to the suffering of children, according to Australians for Native Title and Reconciliation (ANTaR).
To sign open letters and find out more about ANTaR’s program’s please click here